The Cowdray Room
The Cowdray Room, also known previously as The Library, is now refurbished and has become an elegant drawing room with comfortable seating and lighting and is a place for quiet conversation, reading, to enjoy a drink from the bars, share afternoon tea with guests or book your own private party.
The room is named after the Cowdray Club (previously known at the Nation’s Nurses and Professional Women’s Club) that was established in 1922 and named after one of its co-founders, Lady Cowdray.
When the original club’s lease on 20 Cavendish Square was coming to an end, in the early 1970s, it made the decision to merge with the Naval and Military Club bringing with them a handsome dowry that was well invested and was made available to help purchase No. 4 St James’s Square when the time came.
Our book collection has been moved and is located around the Club for Members to read or borrow. Our part-time Librarian, Jane Trodd, is available to help with research and loans and the Loans book is now held at the No. 4 reception.
- Refreshments and afternoon tea can be ordered via the Canning Room or Long Bar
- Click here to browse the catalogue of the Club's Library book